Pages

8/8/08

PARADISE BIRD by Silke Liria©



I reach into my chest and find a tiny, red, pulsating cushion. It feels so smooth in my hand, its warmth passes into my hand, my arm, my soul. Yet bare of its ribbon cage, it trembles of cold or of fear, feeling utterly naked and exposed, not knowing from which side will come the next blow, the next insult, the next catastrophe.

Ssshhh, I whisper to my heart. Be still and feel that you are safe. Be still and feel that all is good.

Are the warm, deep red drops, which glide down my wrist, tears or blood?

Don’t be afraid, I speak softly to my heart. From now on I will protect you. This is a new time, and some houses on the beach are white.

I dress my strange heart of mine with feathers in all colors. Feathers of the hens and the elegant white sea hens, of the roosters and the fat black sea roosters. Of hawks and eagles. Of parrots and ice birds and many other birds which I know only as fluffy feather balls in shining colors on the four horizons of the sky.

I throw my heart like a bird of joy into the blue open. Fly, my little heart. Fly, my paradise bird. You don’t need a cage anymore.

You will feel joy. You’ll be a joy.


Silke Liria©


No comments: